Filtering IPv6 AAAA records?

Paul Reilly pareilly at tcd.ie
Tue Jul 24 18:06:09 UTC 2012

Hello gurus,

Is it possible using the BIND resolver to filter out AAAA record replies to
end clients?

Since Google added an IPv6 AAAA record, I'm having problems with some Macs
trying to connect to Google on IPv6 instead of IPv4.
We have a partial IPv6 network. IPv6 works internally, but outbound
internet access is only permitted using IPv4.
However the Macs are seeing the IPv6 address for google.com, and trying to
connect over IPv6 which eventually just times out.

We don't have desktop control over our large Mac user base, so turning off
IPv6 is not so easy.
I was thinking I could configure BIND to only return A records from
google.com and not any AAAA records.

Is this possible?

Thanks
Paul