using 127.0.0.1 in resolv.conf

John Miller johnmill at brandeis.edu
Tue Jul 24 22:13:31 UTC 2012

On 07/24/2012 05:10 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
> No.  It was a kernel bug.  The kernel wouldn't let you un-bind the
> socket.  When you sent to 127.0.0.1 the local address was set to
> 127.0.0.1 then when you sent to some other address 127.0.0.1 was
> used as the source address which doesn't work.  Modern resolvers
> check for this and open a new socket.

Thanks, Mark.  I should have read a bit more carefully: "in some
Berkeley-derived TCP/IP implementations" was the key phrase.

I did some more careful searching, and it looks like this topic came up
on the list back in 2007:

https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/bind-users/2007-February/065751.html

Good to know that the resolver handles this nowadays.

John