OT: cached memory

Michael Graff mgraff at isc.org
Thu Jun 14 07:09:41 UTC 2012

On Jun 13, 2012, at 5:02 PM, Dan Letkeman wrote:

> I understand the concept, as I have read many documents like that.  I
> am more interested in a real world example of how much free memory for
> caching is recommended for an average server.
>
> Dan.

It depends on many things, but what I'd do to find the optimum cache size is:

(1)  Start with some limit, say 128 MB.
(2)  Observe the server's performance over time, and memory usage.
(3)  Pick some reasonable time, like "I want it to hit the max memory size in 3 days" or "one week"
(4)  If it reaches the maximum too quickly, add more cache size.

I suspect this is one metric that would help greatly to add to the XML stats...  Cache hit rate is sort of a standard metric.

--Michael