RFC 6303 and bind 9.9.0

Spain, Dr. Jeffry A. spainj at countryday.net
Fri Mar 2 10:21:00 UTC 2012

>> If the root hints are updated on ftp://rs.internic.net/domain/, would
>> it require a new build of bind to incorporate them, or is bind able to
>> update its built-in root hints by some other means?

> No, it requires a rebuild after changing lib/dns/rootns.c. But using a mildly out-of-date hints file is usually harmless - it is only a *hint*.

> [Having said that, I admit I specify an explicit root hints file and keep it up to date in most of my own nameserver configurations.]

Interesting. I compared the contents of character array root_ns[] in bind-9.9.0/lib/dns/rootns.c with the contents of ftp://ftp.internic.net/domain/named.root (dated Jun 8, 2011). Bind9.9.0 is missing "D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.     3600000 IN      AAAA    2001:500:2D::D\n" and some of the TTLs in bind9.9.0 are 518400 instead of 3600000, as all of them are in the named.root. Jeff.