Bill Owens owens at nysernet.org
Tue Mar 13 13:53:00 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 01:42:00PM +0000, hugo hugoo wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback.
> Is this a glue record? I do not have any IP defined in the NS record.

No, a glue record is an address record (A or AAAA) for an NS record in the parent zone, to avoid the problem of having the child zone needed to resolve the nameservers that would serve the child zone. For example, if your child zone is 'titi.toto.be' and the nameservers are 'ns.titi.toto.be' and 'ns1.titi.toto.be', glue records in the parent are needed in order to allow a querier to follow the delegation.

> What is the flow of a request to a subzone?

Walking down the names from right to left, starting at the root, then 'be', then 'toto.be', and 'titi.toto.be' The easiest way to visualize it is to do a query with 'dig +trace'.

> Is the content of the zone checked before checking the subzone?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'checked'; it isn't verified in any way, but in the normal progression there would be a query for 'titi.toto.be' at the authoritative server for 'toto.be', which would return NS records; one of those nameservers would then be queried for records in 'titi.toto.be'.

Bill.