query issue

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Mar 29 22:05:36 UTC 2012

In message <012901cd0de7$fcf45590$f6dd00b0$@net>, "Paul A" writes:
> Aside from the NS issue the problem was def related to having an 6to4 ipv6
> address on the eth0 interface of my name server. Once I removed that ipv6 ip
> all is working well.
>

> Which leaves me with some questions,
>
> Does bind try on an ipv6 addr 1st? I suspect it does.

All things being equal, yes it will try IPv6 first.  However most of the
time there is some history and it will make other decisions.

> The name servers for the domain below on the whois are ns2/ns1/gis.net so I
> should have been querying those servers which don't have ipv6 addr however
> they have an NS record in the zone pointing to mns01.domaincontrol.com which
> has an ipv6 addr but it's not listed on the whois output.
>
> Basically im not sure why my queries for kingstonmass.org where being
> sourced from an ipv6.

The queries are sent to that address because named has learnt that
mns01.domaincontrol.com has a IPv6 address.  mns01.domaincontrol.com
isn't responding to me over IPv6 either.