Configuring CNAME for nosslsearch.google.com

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Tue May 8 16:07:39 UTC 2012

On May 8 2012, Barry Margolin wrote:

>In article <mailman.713.1336489020.63724.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
> Tobias Krais <tux-spam at design-to-use.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi Phil,
>>
>> > 4. Create a zone for "www.google.com" and instead of CNAME, put an A
>> > record at the apex with the same IP as "nosslsearch.google.com". Run a
>> > script FREQUENTLY to re-resolve the host, as Google do short-TTL
>> > DNS-based loadbalancing.
>>
>> For unbound has no solution Inow want to try your suggestion no. 4. My
>> db file now looks like this:
>> -----%<-----
>> @       IN      SOA     localhost       root at localhost. (
>>                                         2012041100
>>                                         7200
>>                                         1800
>>                                         1209600
>>                                         300 )
>>         IN      A       216.239.32.20 #nosslsearch.google.com.
>> -----%<-----
>>
>> But this does not work. Can you tell me whats wrong?
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Tobias
>
>"#" isn't the comment character in DNS zond files, ";" is.

Also, you need at least one NS record (maybe for "localhost.").
named-checkzone would have told you about both these problems.

Less serious problems:

It's better to use a $TTL directive than rely on it defaulting to
the SOA.MINTTL value (or specify all TTLs explicltly).

You probably meant "root.localhost." for the SOA.rname.

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk