Configuring CNAME for nosslsearch.google.com

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Tue May 8 17:03:37 UTC 2012

Sundry nitpicks. Not much of interest here, sorry.

On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 05:38:55PM +0200, Jan-Piet Mens wrote:
> > -----%<-----
> > @       IN      SOA     localhost       root at localhost. (
> >                                         2012041100
> >                                         7200
> >                                         1800
> >                                         1209600
> >                                         300 )
> >         IN      A       216.239.32.20 #nosslsearch.google.com.
> > -----%<-----
>
> What's the hash doing there? ...........^
>
> That's not a comment.
>
> Replace that whole line by
>
>         nosslsearch.google.com.   IN      A       216.239.32.20

ITYM:

@		IN	A	216.239.32.20

This zone is named "www.google.com."

On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 05:07:39PM +0100, Chris Thompson wrote:
> On May 8 2012, Barry Margolin wrote:
>
> >In article <mailman.713.1336489020.63724.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
> >Tobias Krais <tux-spam at design-to-use.de> wrote:
> >
> >>Hi Phil,

> >>For unbound has no solution Inow want to try your suggestion no. 4. My
> >>db file now looks like this:
> >>-----%<-----
> >>@       IN      SOA     localhost       root at localhost. (
> >>                                        2012041100
> >>                                        7200
> >>                                        1800
> >>                                        1209600
> >>                                        300 )
> >>        IN      A       216.239.32.20 #nosslsearch.google.com.
> >>-----%<-----
> >>
> >>But this does not work. Can you tell me whats wrong?
> >>
> >>Greetings,
> >>
> >>Tobias
> >
> >"#" isn't the comment character in DNS zond files, ";" is.
>
> Also, you need at least one NS record (maybe for "localhost.").
> named-checkzone would have told you about both these problems.
>
> Less serious problems:
>
> It's better to use a $TTL directive than rely on it defaulting to
> the SOA.MINTTL value (or specify all TTLs explicltly).
>
> You probably meant "root.localhost." for the SOA.rname.

And "localhost." for the SOA.mname.

And the SOA.serial implies the date of April 11. :) Seriously, you
would probably want the serial to reflect the date you last did a
check of the upstream name, nosslsearch.google.com.