Need to improve named performance

G.W. Haywood bind at jubileegroup.co.uk
Sun Nov 11 12:41:53 UTC 2012

Hi there,

On Sun, 11 Nov 2012, Ed LaFrance wrote:

> Running BIND 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-16.P1.el5 ...

Somebody already said upgrade.  Generally that's the first thing to do
in a case like this (before asking on mailing lists:).

> The issue is that named is not keeping up with rdns requests. The
> nameserver is only doing rdns, and it's the only public process on the
> server (no webhosting, monitoring, etc).
>
> When I check the router above this server I'll see 200 - 500 legitimate
> connections to this server at any given time. ...

I'm not convinced that BIND is the problem.  What does 'top' tell you?

Are you running netfilter/iptables on the box?  Might be ip_conntrack.
I once had an issue with a lot of dropped TCP connections, each of
which was hanging around for five days (the default).  They filled the
connection tracking table.  The default is too long, ridiculously so.
After I reduced it to something more reasonable the problem went away.

--

73,
Ged.