Need to improve named performance

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Sun Nov 11 21:46:03 UTC 2012

* Ed LaFrance:

> Running BIND 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-16.P1.el5 on a quadcore xeon server
> (3Ghz) with 2GB RAM. Named is being used only for rDNS queries against
> our address space.

You should really upgrade to the latest version on that branch (likely
bind-9.3.6-20.P1.el5_8.5).

> The bottom line is: I need to improve named performance. Tcpdump only
> shows about 20 requests per second on average, I would estimate. This
> should be handled easily, but instead it's gagging on it and the
> requests are stacking up.

Something is stalling the named process.  Try to run "strace -T -f -p
4509" (4509 is the PID for the named process) and see where named
spends its time.  The top output you quoted suggests that the process
is not spinning in user space.