User wanting to use a .local domain to host DNS

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Wed Nov 14 15:15:47 UTC 2012

The .local TLD is "reserved" for link-local names, in the context of
multicast DNS ("mDNS"), however, I don't think mDNS has progressed
beyond the Internet Draft stage of the IETF Standards Track process. See
http://www.multicastdns.org for latest updates.

It would be imprudent to use .local for anything other mDNS, due to the
possibility that mDNS might get on the Standards Track some day. Tell
the user that there are billions of other "private" TLDs from which to
choose.

                                                 - Kevin