Performance tuning

Sten Carlsen stenc at s-carlsen.dk
Mon Nov 26 18:28:23 UTC 2012

On 26/11/12 19:12, Adamiec, Lawrence wrote:
> To the best of my knowledge, there are no problems with our DNS.  We
> only host 25 domains.
>
> The report must also address these two specific questions:
>
>  1. Why does www.kentlaw.iit.edu <http://www.kentlaw.iit.edu> load
>     quicker than kentlaw.iit.edu <http://kentlaw.iit.edu> in any browser?
>  2. What happens if we remove the forwarders option from named.conf?
>
> I can't duplicate the issue in Q1 and I'm trying to determine a way of
> testing Q2.
In my browser the speeds are opposite, in both cases the key time is
spent waiting for the web server.

Case 2: if your DNS server has access to the internet, you will likely
see an increase in speed. There are some test suites to test the general
lookup speeds of servers, try with and without forwarders. I guess your
numbers are better without but nobody will notice any difference in real
life. In some cases there are some blocking of specific sites in place,
those you will lose with no forwarder.

> Larry
>

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us
> <mailto:dougb at dougbarton.us>> wrote:
>
>     What a delightfully vague requirement. :)
>
>     I would push back a bit on exactly what problems are attempted to be
>     solved here. The BIND defaults are about as efficient as they can be,
>     especially so in later versions.
>
>     Doug
>

>     On 11/26/2012 11:01 AM, Adamiec, Lawrence wrote:
>     > Hi,
>     >
>     > I have been tasked with authoring a DNS report "to achieve optimal
>     > performance."  The report must include:
>     >
>     > CPU usage
>     > memory usage
>     > bandwidth usage
>     > throughput
>     > latency
>     >
>     > I have found some information regarding the number of queries
>     processed
>     > per minute but nothing of value for the above areas.
>     >
>     > Is there some documentation that discusses the above areas?
>     >
>     > We are running BIND 9.6-ESV-R5-P1, Solaris 10 on a SPARC server.  My
>     > report will include the fact we must upgrade from BIND 9.6-ESV-R5-P1
>     >
>     > Thank you in advance.
>     >
>     > Larry