Performance tuning

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Nov 26 18:40:40 UTC 2012

Hi--

On Nov 26, 2012, at 10:12 AM, Adamiec, Lawrence wrote:
> The report must also address these two specific questions:
>
> 	• Why does www.kentlaw.iit.edu load quicker than kentlaw.iit.edu in any browser?
> 	• What happens if we remove the forwarders option from named.conf?
> I can't duplicate the issue in Q1 and I'm trying to determine a way of testing Q2.

Q1 isn't related to DNS performance; both of the names you mention resolve to the same IP address via an A record.  There wasn't a significant difference in response time I saw by loading the webpages (both took ~1.3 s per curl), but one likely could improve webserver performance by running Apache, nginx, or almost anything else instead of than Microsoft's IIS.

The domain seems to be missing A records for your nameservers, however:

  http://www.dnsvalidation.com/reports/50b3b5167d79ee02b8000026

As for Q2, it depends on whether the nameservers you are pointing to do better in caching queries then your local nameservers would doing recursive lookups for themselves.  If the local nameservers have poor connectivity compared to the forwarders, maybe, otherwise it's probably not helpful to use forwarders.

Regards,
--
-Chuck