Performance tuning

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Tue Nov 27 14:11:10 UTC 2012

"Adamiec, Lawrence" <ladamiec at kentlaw.iit.edu> wrote on 11/26/2012
01:12:48 PM:

> To the best of my knowledge, there are no problems with our DNS.  We
> only host 25 domains.
>
> The report must also address these two specific questions:
>
> 1. Why does www.kentlaw.iit.edu load quicker than kentlaw.iit.edu in
> any browser?

Are you sure this is a DNS issue?  Test it by adding both to /etc/hosts
(or Windows equal).   Reboot and flush all caches between tests.

> 2. What happens if we remove the forwarders option from named.conf?

Depends why you have the forwarders.
.
> I can't duplicate the issue in Q1 and I'm trying to determine a way
> of testing Q2.

Oh the joys of intermittent problems. Are you sure the issues reported as
Q1 are real?  Have the web site folks been involved in discussions or are
they just blaming DNS without testing anything?

If possible sneak host file entries onto a handful of user machines and
see if they still complain.

Confidentiality Notice:
This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or
privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or entity
identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that
you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any
attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or
telephone and delete this message from your system.