Performance tuning

Adamiec, Lawrence ladamiec at kentlaw.iit.edu
Tue Nov 27 18:01:41 UTC 2012

Hi,

My original post was about writing a report to optimize our DNS servers and
the report needed to address two questions.  Based on the answers I
received, I will write our servers are already optimized and no further
tuning is needed.

Now about the two specific questions for the report.

Q1 --  I don't believe the problem is DNS related.  However, I have not
been able to recreate the trouble so I don't know if there is any problem.
 As other list members have posted, they didn't have any problems with the
pages rendering either.  As far as asking me about the web sites staff,
well, I am the technical contact for our web sites.  Our Public Affairs
department handles content related issues and I take of all server related
things.  I will double check the web server, but it shouldn't be using any
rewrites for the main page.  And I don't know who is complaining about the
pages.  This question came from my boss.

Q2 --  The forwarders statement was added to our config file about six
years ago.  Some users complained they could not reach two or three
specific web sites outside our domain.  At that time, one of our network
staff members told me his nslookup for the sites were timing out.  I was
instructed to insert the forwarder statement with the main campus servers
acting as the forwarder.  The time outs stopped and people stopped
complaining.  I don't know that adding the forwarder statement actually
fixed any trouble but nslookups did not time out, people stopped
complaining, and my boss was happy.  (I know dig is better).
 Unfortunately, I don't remember which sites people were complaining about.

Larry