truncated responses vs. minimal-responses?

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Tue Nov 27 17:28:36 UTC 2012

Hello,

last few weeks I have seen many discussions over UDP truncating and using
"minimal-responses yes;" to prevent BIDN from doing that.

I've read article stating that nameserver should avoid truncating packets
even by skipping additional and authority sections in its responses, which
should mean that using minimal-responses would not help.

However, I've seen a few mails mentioning that a query can get truncated
when the authority section is too big and advices to turn minimal-responses
on.

Reading the 9.9.2 docs and even looking at the sources (I am not a C coder)
did not help me with this.

Can anyone enlight me in this?
Thank you.

- Holmes, what kind of school did you study to be a detective?
- Elementary, Watson.  -- Daffy Duck & Porky Pig