Disable log message

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 18 20:13:49 UTC 2012

On Oct 18 2012, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Oct 2012, Jack Tavares wrote:
>
>> I  am running bind9.8.x built from source and I see this message in the logs
>> built with '--prefix=/blah' '--sbindir=/blah' '--sysconfdir=/blah' '--localstatedir=/var' '--exec-prefix=/usr' '--libdir=/usr/lib' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-openssl=/blah' '--enable-fixed-rrset' '--enable-shared' '--enable-threads' '--enable-ipv6' '--with-libtool'  etc etc etc
>>
>> I would prefer to not have that show up in the log.
>>
>> Short of modifying the source, is there an easy way to disable that?
>
>No way to disable just it. It is in the "general" catch-all category.

Also, it is output before the configuration "logging" directives have been
processed, so it comes out with the internal defaults for category and
priority (daemon.notice). Any suppression would need to be done at the
syslog level.

But I have some difficulty understanding why anyone would want it suppressed.
It's true that BIND is a bit noisier than it used to be at this stage, but
can this really be a problem? Do you let the black hats see your system logs?

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk