Disable log message

Alan Clegg alan at clegg.com
Fri Oct 19 22:13:09 UTC 2012

On Oct 18, 2012, at 1:13 PM, Chris Thompson <cet1 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Oct 18 2012, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 18 Oct 2012, Jack Tavares wrote:
>>
>>> I  am running bind9.8.x built from source and I see this message in the logs
>>> built with '--prefix=/blah' '--sbindir=/blah' '--sysconfdir=/blah' '--localstatedir=/var' '--exec-prefix=/usr' '--libdir=/usr/lib' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-openssl=/blah' '--enable-fixed-rrset' '--enable-shared' '--enable-threads' '--enable-ipv6' '--with-libtool'  etc etc etc I would prefer to not have that show up in the log.
>>> Short of modifying the source, is there an easy way to disable that?
>>
>> No way to disable just it. It is in the "general" catch-all category.
>
> Also, it is output before the configuration "logging" directives have been
> processed, so it comes out with the internal defaults for category and
> priority (daemon.notice). Any suppression would need to be done at the
> syslog level.
>
> But I have some difficulty understanding why anyone would want it suppressed.
> It's true that BIND is a bit noisier than it used to be at this stage, but
> can this really be a problem? Do you let the black hats see your system logs?

This message was added by general recognition that being able to rebuild a "drop-in" binary for BIND when you didn't have access to the build directory (where the config.log contains the information) was a good thing.

I, for one, see no reason to suppress this message (but I do have blind spots at times).

AlanC
Alan Clegg | +1-919-355-8851 | alan at clegg.com