ISC Bind in Active Directory

btb at bitrate.net btb at bitrate.net
Fri Oct 19 21:37:18 UTC 2012

On Oct 19, 2012, at 13.27, Phil Mayers wrote:

> Nicholas F Miller <nicholas.miller at Colorado.EDU> wrote:
>
>> DDNS record scavenging is the only feature I'm aware of that MS DNS has
>> that Bind doesn't . On the flip side, ISC Bind can ACL who can add
>> certain record types to a dynamic zone using GSS-TSIG as well as
>> supports views and ACLs for recursion. Everything else should be
>> standard DNS.
>>

> Yeah, that would be nice to have actually. More generally, metadata on ddns records would be useful.

to be honest, this doesn't seem to me to be something that would fall within bind's purview.  comparing bind to "microsoft dns" isn't really apples to apples.  microsoft dns is more than just a dns server.  it's also a dns management system [whereas bind is not], which is where things like scavenging dns data or publishing metadata would belong.  one partial example of this would be dhcpd's use of ddns, which uses txt records to include some metadata in dns.    as it is, bind can fully support probably any such mechanism, with the benefit of being agnostic.  i like that modularity, and would be disappointed if it changed.

-b