ISC Bind in Active Directory

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sat Oct 20 10:26:45 UTC 2012

btb at bitrate.net wrote:

eful.

>to be honest, this doesn't seem to me to be something that would fall
>within bind's purview.  comparing bind to "microsoft dns" isn't really
>apples to apples.  microsoft dns is more than just a dns server.  it's
>also a dns management system [whereas bind is not], which is where
>things like scavenging dns data or publishing metadata would belong.
>one partial example of this would be dhcpd's use of ddns, which uses
>txt records to include some metadata in dns.    as it is, bind can
>fully support probably any such mechanism, with the benefit of being
>agnostic.  i like that modularity, and would be disappointed if it
>changed.
>
>-b
Perhaps I have not made myself clear.

In the case where ddns updates are made directly to bind, it would be handy if bind were to gather metadata about the source and time of the update, so that it is *possible* for external systems to scavenge or whatever.

I don't believe the current update logging is up to it.

Fairly obviously, external systems can't publish metadata they don't know.
--
Sent from my phone. Please excuse brevity and typos.