ISC Bind in Active Directory

Carsten Strotmann cas at strotmann.de
Wed Oct 24 21:01:12 UTC 2012

Hello Aaron,

Aaron Thompson <athompson at berklee.edu> writes:

> I have little experience in the AD arena for DNS/DHCP.  Without being
> a too loaded question, with your experience is it possible or common
> to have a very knowledgeable understanding of the performance and
> health of an AD system similar to a BIND system? (redundant, process,
> snmp, logging, trouble shooting, cacti integration, ect..)

possible: yes
common: less so.

I found some very very knowledgeable people in larger
Microsoft dominated networks (AD networks), that know a lot about
DNS and AD, at the same level as some people do in the BIND community.

However there are a couple of system administrators in Microsoft
networks that think that having a GUI does not require them to learn
what is going on "under the hood". Not good.

The challenge is that sometimes the Microsoft community (and Microsoft
themselves) are using the same words as people in the Unix community,
but they describe different things, or the other way around (using
different terms for the same stuff). Keeping a sane mind is not always
easy in that respect.

-- Carsten