multiple entries for TXT record

enigmedia online-reg at enigmedia.com
Fri Oct 26 13:31:31 UTC 2012

On 10/26/2012 7:16 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 06:08:32AM -0700,
>  enigmedia <online-reg at enigmedia.com> wrote
>  a message of 29 lines which said:
>
>>         TXT   IN   ("v=spf1 a mx ptr ip4:65.49.39.152/29 ~all"
>>                    "DZC=DlaVBmG")
>
> This is *one* TXT record made of two strings. Whether or not the SPF
> standard mandates it, it would be cleaner, IMHO, to have *two* TXT
> records.
>
>          TXT   IN   "v=spf1 a mx ptr ip4:65.49.39.152/29 ~all"
>          TXT   IN   "DZC=DlaVBmG"

Thanks Stephane: I wasn't sure if I was "allowed" to have more than one TXT
record in a zone, and when I googled around the only references I saw were to
concatenating multiple name-value pairs into a single record.

I originally tried adding a second record, but when I did this and used some
testing websites to check the TXT records for the zone, they only returned the
first one, so I wasn't sure if having more than one was valid.

These two name-value pairs are not for the same purpose, so I will split them
into to two separate records.