multiple entries for TXT record

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Oct 26 14:37:50 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 06:31:31AM -0700,
 enigmedia <online-reg at enigmedia.com> wrote
 a message of 34 lines which said:

> I wasn't sure if I was "allowed" to have more than one TXT record in
> a zone, and when I googled around the only references I saw were to
> concatenating multiple name-value pairs into a single record.

I've now checked RFC 4408, the SPF standard and such a single record
would be illegal (section 3.1.3 of the RFC), since it would not be
legal SPF syntax.

> I originally tried adding a second record, but when I did this and
> used some testing websites to check the TXT records for the zone,
> they only returned the first one, so I wasn't sure if having more
> than one was valid.

Many DNS tool are buggy in that respect: they forget that several
records of the same type and name are possible (it is common for A and
AAAA records, for instance).