Reverse Records on a leash?

Steven Carr sjcarr at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 10:44:31 UTC 2013

On 10 August 2013 01:44, Eduardo Bonsi <beartcom at pacbell.net> wrote:
> I would like to know why we are treat like a dog on a leash when the
> question is to reverse our DNS ip address to a FQDN of our choices since our
> account is already assigned to us by our ISP?

I would guess that for the most part ISPs provide a pool of addresses
to their subscribers and your connection will obtain a new IP
dynamically when it connects. If you have a static IP assigned to your
connection (you are usually charged extra for this, at least in the UK
you are) then the ISP may allow you to change the rDNS for that IP
address as it is "owned" by you (but they might also charge you an
admin fee for changing this).

Steve