Cannot create A record issue

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Wed Feb 20 18:13:55 UTC 2013

Are you sure BIND is loading the zone file? Are you remembering to update the SOA / serial? Are you restarting BIND after making changes?

If you make a change (and update the SOA), if you do:

dig soa example.com do you see the new serial #?

On Feb 20, 2013, at 12:40 PM, Jsilliman <jsilliman at gmail.com> wrote:

> I can't seem to create an extra A record that works.  I've created A
> records for ns1 and mail and they work if I do a bind lookup, but
> nothing else works.  I did a lot of research before reaching out here.
> This is my zone file.   "Remote.example.com" never works...This is
> Bind9 running on Ubuntu server.
>

> Main zone file
>
> ;
> $TTL    604800
> @       IN      SOA     ns1.example.com. root.example.com. (
>                              10                ; Serial
>                         604800         ; Refresh
>                          86400         ; Retry
>                        2419200         ; Expire
>                         604800 )       ; Negative Cache TTL
> ;
> @       IN      NS      ns1.example.com.
> @        IN    MX  10    mail.example.com.
>
> ;       IN      A       69.62.x.x
> ;       IN      AAAA    ::1
> ;        IN SPF "v=spf1 ptr -all"
> ;       IN TXT "v=spf1 ptr -all"
>
> ns1     IN    A       69.62.x.x
>
> mail     IN    A      69.62.x.x
> www      IN    A      69.62.x.x
> remote    IN   A      69.62.x.x
>
> Rev lookup:
>
> ; BIND reverse data file for local loopback interface
> ;
> $TTL    604800
> @       IN      SOA     ns1.example.com. example.com. (
>                              1         ; Serial
>                         604800         ; Refresh
>                          86400         ; Retry
>                        2419200         ; Expire
>                         604800 )       ; Negative Cache TTL
> ;
> @       IN      NS      ns1.
> 215     IN      PTR     ns1.example.com.

"Go on, prove me wrong. Destroy the fabric of the universe. See if I care."  -- Terry Prachett