allow-query and views

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.com
Thu Feb 21 19:04:04 UTC 2013

> From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com>

> Whow...  This is news.  A hidden view?  Where is this documented.

The ARM says in part:

  Built-in server information zones
    The server provides some helpful diagnostic information through a
    number of built-in zones under the pseudo-top-level-domain bind
    in the CHAOS class. These zones are part of a built-in view (see
    the section called "view Statement Grammar") of class CHAOS which
    is separate from the default view of class IN; therefore, any
    global server options such as allow-query do not apply the these
    zones.  If you feel the need to disable these zones, use the options
    below, or hide the built-in CHAOS view by defining an explicit
    view of class CHAOS that matches all clients.

> have no restrictions in my general options section.  Figured that the
> specific view ones were all that was needed.  Now I am upset.

It's not a real view, because that you can't change it except by
editing the BIND source, using the version, hostname, and server-id
options, hiding it as the ARM says, or with default options.

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com