allow-query and views

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.com
Thu Feb 21 19:16:57 UTC 2013

> The ARM says in part:
>
>   Built-in server information zones
>     The server provides some helpful diagnostic information through a
>     number of built-in zones under the pseudo-top-level-domain bind
>     in the CHAOS class. These zones are part of a built-in view (see
>     the section called "view Statement Grammar") of class CHAOS which
>     is separate from the default view of class IN; therefore, any
>     global server options such as allow-query do not apply the these
>     zones.  If you feel the need to disable these zones, use the options
>     below, or hide the built-in CHAOS view by defining an explicit
>     view of class CHAOS that matches all clients.

Now that I read what I wrote, I see that it's wrong.

I found and just now verified that options{allow-query{}} affects
the _bind view at least in 9.10.0pre-alpha with the rrl and rpz2
patches.  I found that feature (or perhap bug) when I decided to
stop hiding the version I use lest anyone think I don't do what I
advocate with BIND patches.

I don't know whether the bug is in the ARM or the code.  If you
pick one, I can argue the other.

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com