disabling lame server logging

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Feb 26 18:09:56 UTC 2013

On 02/26/2013 12:58 PM, Sten Carlsen wrote:

> On 26/02/13 18:06, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

>>> This is one reason my mailserver has a DNS server. No forward, that
>>> only slows down things.
>>> The question here is whether there is a good reason that this
>>> instance must not go directly to the roots?
>>
>> To support systems only visable to your internal view?
> I have in my internal view mostly systems that are not visible from
> the outside but my internal view has direct access to the world with
> regards to DNS. I don't see any risk in that , except the
> predictability of RBL-lookups as mentioned elsewhere.
> Speed is much improved, even with a standard ADSL line I have better
> performance than by forwarding to the ISP DNS server.

What I meant here, rather poorly stated, is that my mail server would
have to look up clients that only resolve within my internal view.  For
example foo.bar which resolves to 192.168.178.5.  That query would fail
if all the caching server had was public DNS data.

I DO run a hidden TLD here for some testing and those devices currently
do send mail from one to another through my current mail server.