lame-servers: error (FORMERR) resolving [something]

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Jan 22 15:04:47 UTC 2013

In message <20130122142136.GA21967 at fantomas.sk>, Matus UHLAR - fantomas writes:
> On 22.01.13 11:18, Daniele wrote:
> >My router doesn't maintain a DNS cache, so it must be my IPS's fault.
> >
> >The last questions, if it's possible: what happens when my 'named' starts
> >an iterative query? Does it arrive to the real root-server (first of all),
>
> it should, but it appears that it does not. your ISP seems to beintercepting
> those messages. Ask your ISP how to turn it off.
>
> >or is it processed by some other cache-server on the path? And why 'named'
> >doesn't "understand" the responses from these cache-servers?
>
> in your case it's getting non-authoritative responses, but with recursion
> allowed. Both are unexpected so named complains.

As I said named doesn't get the answers it needs.   If you ask a
recursive server non-recursive queries it will refer you to the
best set of nameserve it knows about.

When you have a "transparent" intercepting DNS recursive server
named just gets referrals for any question that it doesn't have a
cached answer for.

The intercepting server is expecting to see queries with "rd=1".
Named makes queries with "rd=0".

Mark