Confused about a basic concept

Carlos M. Martinez carlosm3011 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 14:36:11 UTC 2013

The 'hidden master' setup is a very good strategy for a number of reasons.

I think the original description only derails a bit when using the term
'authoritative':

> I'm being told "our authoritative DNS
>>     servers should not receive any queries", as well as "DNS slaves
>>     respond to queries".  These statements seem like a conflict to me,
>>     but maybe I'm simply confused?

Many people confuse authority with master/slave. Slaves will also
respond authoritatively. In fact, by just looking at a DNS response is
hard to tell which NS points to the actual master, if any (in the case
of the hidden master, no NS actually points to a master).

cheers!

~Carlos