Confused about a basic concept

Bryan Harris bryanlharris at me.com
Wed Jun 5 16:52:59 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the detailed responses, I think I have a better understanding of things now.  I was completely and totally confused about UDP/TCP.  I am just going to take a wild guess that doing iptables the way I described would've caused a bunch of problems...

After reading everything it looks to me like our hidden master configuration is basically okay, but by some of the best practices described, it could be better and easier to work with if we had a separate caching layer.

Also per Ben's description of DNSSEC we are going to need need different servers (caching/recursion servers) validating the DNSSEC keys (or whatever they're called).  I suppose we need to implement the caching layer if we intend to implement DNSSEC for our zone properly.

Regarding if we need a hidden master in the first place, I wish I could remember. :-)  It's been that way since I came here and I suspect it's a requirement we will simply have to keep using.

Thanks again for all the responses!
Bryan
On Jun 05, 2013, at 09:36 AM, "Carlos M. Martinez" <carlosm3011 at gmail.com> wrote:

The 'hidden master' setup is a very good strategy for a number of reasons.

I think the original description only derails a bit when using the term
'authoritative':

> I'm being told "our authoritative DNS
>> servers should not receive any queries", as well as "DNS slaves
>> respond to queries". These statements seem like a conflict to me,
>> but maybe I'm simply confused?

Many people confuse authority with master/slave. Slaves will also
respond authoritatively. In fact, by just looking at a DNS response is
hard to tell which NS points to the actual master, if any (in the case
of the hidden master, no NS actually points to a master).

cheers!

~Carlos