Health Check feature in BIND ?

Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng. lkchen at ksu.edu
Mon Jun 17 18:55:47 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> Dear All,
>
> I was just thinking whether it is possible to have a some type of
> health checking of servers through BIND DNS Server and DNS Server
> should replied to clients based on that only.
>

> i.e., Suppose I have two entries of www record for domain xyz.in
> having ip address 10.1.1.10 and 10.2.2.10.
>
> Now I want that my DNS Server should check whether the server is up
> or not before replying to clients.
>
> If one is down, then DNS server should reply the IP address of the
> second one.
>

> Although this is not a DNS Job and we should use Load-Balancer for
> this.
>
> But I just wanna to check whether this feature is available in Bind
> or in any Open-Source Program which in turn can be combined with
> BIND to achieve the desired result.

Well, doesn't DNS kind of already do this...if the first DNS server isn' up, then the user's resolver will timeout and try the next resolver....

OTOH, for Load-Balancer.... we use a BigIP LTM, where I have a pool with two DNS servers and use the DNS_Monitor script F5 (which basically does a 'dig @<node> <lookup-name> | grep <expected-response> >/dev/null' )

Works pretty well, one of the nodes is usually the first one I do when there's a bind update.

Additionally I hit all my DNS servers from nagios with the check_dns plugin.