Bind not caching AAAA records

Stephen Wood stephen at seomoz.org
Fri Mar 1 23:36:10 UTC 2013

Hello.

I have bind set up as a cache and forwarder only. I am having trouble
getting bind to cache AAAA records. I can see from the rndc stats file that
A records are being cached quite nicely, but all AAAA requests are flowing
through to the upstream servers.

Here's a snippet from my stats file:

++ Incoming Queries ++
               17394 A
               17387 AAAA
++ Outgoing Queries ++
                 202 A
               17354 AAAA

Unless I'm reading the stats output, it looks like all of the AAAA requests
are cache misses.

My bind.conf.options file has the following contents:

options {
    recursing-file "/etc/bind/bind.recurse";
    forward only;

    minimal-responses yes;

    statistics-file "/etc/bind/stats";

    forwarders {
        172.16.0.23;
    } ;

    recursive-clients 10000;

    allow-query { any ; } ;
    allow-recursion { any ; } ;
    listen-on { any ; };
    listen-on-v6 { any ; };

    recursion yes;
};

The contents of my /etc/defaults/bind9 file is as follows:

//
# run resolvconf?
RESOLVCONF=no

# startup options for the server
OPTIONS="-u bind"
//

My operating system is Ubuntu 12.04.

Is there someone that can point me in the right direction? I tried googling
"Bind9 AAAA record not caching" and things like "bind AAAA cache hit" but
can't seem to figure out what's happening.