Overriding Included Zone File Entries

Pat Suwalski pat at suwalski.net
Tue Mar 5 19:08:00 UTC 2013

Hello everyone,

I have a question about using the $INCLUDE directive in my zone files.

We run DNS for a moderately large number of domains, largely pointing at
the same servers. So, I'd really like to have the following setup:

db.common.inc:

     mail IN A n.n.n.n
     mail2 IN A n.n.n.n
     www IN A n.n.n.n
     @ IN TXT "v=spf1..."

And then have individual zone files be able to override the various values:

db.special.domain.com:

     $INCLUDE db.common.inc
     www IN A x.x.x.x

Of course, this just round-robins the A record for the www entry.

Does anyone know if it is possible to make the new entry override the
previously included one rather than add to it?

If not, is there a typical config structure that has worked for someone
trying to do a similar setup?

Many thanks,
--Pat