How to minimize the downtime in my case

Manish Rane manishr78 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 19:04:55 UTC 2013

Hey Folks,

I right now have NS server hosted with ISP and I am planning to set up my
own BIND servers. Now I would like to understand that I need to ask my
Registrar to populate the entry of my new NS server which would take 4-6
hours to propagate over the internet.

To reduce the downtime, can I not add those two new NS servers along with
my old DNS server with exact zone? once all the NS entries populate over
the internet I can have my ISP's DNS removed and have one of my DNS server
as Master?

Current Scenario
------------------------------------

ns1.example.com    1.2.3.4
ns2.example.com     5.6.7.8

I am thnking of below scenario

ns1.example.com    1.2.3.4
ns2.example.com     5.6.7.8
mynewns1.example.com   20.20.20.20
mynewns2.example.com   30.30.30.30

Then after few days

mynewns1.example.com   20.20.20.20
mynewns2.example.com   30.30.30.30

Which eventually should have all the records.

Please advise!!