How to minimize the downtime in my case

Dave Warren lists at hireahit.com
Fri Mar 15 08:26:34 UTC 2013

On 3/14/2013 12:04, Manish Rane wrote:
> Hey Folks,
>
> I right now have NS server hosted with ISP and I am planning to set up
> my own BIND servers. Now I would like to understand that I need to ask
> my Registrar to populate the entry of my new NS server which would
> take 4-6 hours to propagate over the internet.
>
> To reduce the downtime, can I not add those two new NS servers along
> with my old DNS server with exact zone? once all the NS
> entries populate over the internet I can have my ISP's DNS removed and
> have one of my DNS server as Master?
>

> Current Scenario
> ------------------------------------
>
> ns1.example.com <http://ns1.example.com>    1.2.3.4
> ns2.example.com <http://ns2.example.com>     5.6.7.8
>

> I am thnking of below scenario
>
> ns1.example.com <http://ns1.example.com>    1.2.3.4
> ns2.example.com <http://ns2.example.com>     5.6.7.8
> mynewns1.example.com <http://mynewns1.example.com>   20.20.20.20
> mynewns2.example.com <http://mynewns2.example.com>   30.30.30.30
>
> Then after few days
>
> mynewns1.example.com <http://mynewns1.example.com>   20.20.20.20
> mynewns2.example.com <http://mynewns2.example.com>   30.30.30.30
>
> Which eventually should have all the records.

Maybe I'm over-complicating or under-complicating something here, but
why bother? If you just switched directly from the old servers to the
new servers, with the zones being identical outside of any NS related
changes, wouldn't things "just work" throughout the transition?

Sure, depending on TTLs involved, some clients might hit the old NS and
some would hit the new NS until the records aged out of caches, but as
long as the other records are identical, users will hit the same web
servers, the same MX, etc.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/