BIND 9.8.2: forward zone not working

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Wed Mar 20 00:30:50 UTC 2013

On 03/19/2013 08:10 PM, btb at bitrate.net wrote:
> On Mar 18, 2013, at 23.04, Gerry Reno <greno at verizon.net> wrote:

>>> it's not really anything particularly related to samba or dlz.  it's just two different computers serving the same zone.  you're just "hijacking" or overloading that particular label.  in addition to declaring the zone in your config, you'll need to delegate that new zone from the parent.
>>>
>>> it's worth noting that this scales poorly.  having to add delegations and zone declarations for every label for which this is desired becomes quickly prohibitive.  instead, i'd suggest using a subdomain for samba - e.g. something like ad.example.com.  there are a number of other solutions as well which would likely be more sensible than hijacking labels.
>>>
>>> -ben
>>>
>> If it was more than just a few labels I would do it another way.
>>
>> But this will suffice, if I can only get bind to actually get the forward zone working.
>>
>> I don't need any delegation.  I'm not looking to slave the zone.
> as i said, you'll need to delegate that new zone from the parent.  i'm not sure what slaves zones would have to do with that.
>
> -ben

As I said, if I was going to do this for a bunch of labels I would add an external view and just slave it from the ISP
which holds the SOA for the external answers.

And sure delegation works.  You don't even need a forward zone.

So what exactly is the use case for this forward zone?   I see a number of postings over several y ears where people
have not been able to get the forward zone working.

-Gerry