Dig for link-local

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Mar 25 12:27:24 UTC 2013

On 25/03/13 09:19, Alok Raj wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Basically I am trying to do the following:
>
> 	1) If I use link-local ipv6 address (of domain controller) in my resolv.conf, my resolver routines (glibc 2.13) is not able to resolve a domain name to an ip address, though I am able to ping that link-
> 	     local ipv6 address.

Have you specified the "scope" in the link-local address i.e.

fe80::xxx%eth0

...or similar? Link-locals cannot be used without a scope. For example:

# dig @fe80::blah www.ic.ac.uk

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P4-RedHat-9.8.3-5.P4.el5 <<>> @fe80::blah www.ic.ac.uk
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd

...fails, but then this:

# dig @fe80::blah%eth0 www.ic.ac.uk

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P4-RedHat-9.8.3-5.P4.el5 <<>> @fe80::blah%eth0 www.ic.ac.uk
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 4, ADDITIONAL: 7

...works. This is basic IPv6, and not dig-specific.