Recursion issue

Chris Buxton clists at buxtonfamily.us
Thu Mar 28 15:12:52 UTC 2013

On Mar 28, 2013, at 7:56 AM, Manson, John wrote:
> My external authoritative dns does not allow recursion.
> We have vanity names like speaker.gov.
> When we add an entry like:
> www.speaker.gov   CNAME        www.house.gov
> it fails because of the recursion statement even though the external dns is authoritative for house.gov.
> Anyone know of a way to modify the recursion behavior since house.gov is already in the outhouse-view along with the vanity .gov names.?
> Currently we have to use A records with the www.house.gov IP.
> Web staff and others would like to see the House server name displayed in the browser url bar and in dig results.

If you want the browser URL bar to change from what the user typed to "www.house.gov", you have to use an HTTP redirect. You cannot do that with DNS.

Other than that issue, what part of your current environment is not working? In your public data, I see:

www.speaker.gov.	300	IN	CNAME	wc.house.gov.edgekey.net.
wc.house.gov.edgekey.net. 17789	IN	CNAME	e4776.g.akamaiedge.net.
e4776.g.akamaiedge.net.	20	IN	A	184.26.83.91

Chris Buxton
BlueCat Networks