Recursion issue

Chris Buxton clists at buxtonfamily.us
Thu Mar 28 16:56:36 UTC 2013

On Mar 28, 2013, at 9:05 AM, Manson, John wrote:
> I disagree with your statement about recursion.
> What stops an authoritative server from doing recursion if you do not have the recursion statement?
> I guess the bind default is recursion yes.

OK, bad choice of words on my part. I did not mean to say that you should not set any configuration options to disable recursion, because as you said, it is on by default (but restricted, by default, to localnets and localhost). What I meant was that there is no reason to permit recursive queries to your authoritative servers. Therefore, I would recommend turning it off using 'recursion no;' in your options or view statement.

Chris Buxton
BlueCat Networks