Forward First on Master Zone (bypass SOA)

Ben-Eliezer, Tal (ITS) Tal.Ben-Eliezer at its.ny.gov
Thu Mar 28 19:28:32 UTC 2013

Hello,

My organization is evaluating the use of split-view DNS in our environment.
One of the challenges I've yet to overcome in my trials, is the ability to minimize the administrative overhead of maintaining two copies of the zone.
Upon reviewing some of the BIND options, "forward first;" caught my eye. Below is the description of this feature I found on Zytrax:

"forward is only relevant in conjunction with a valid forwarders statement. If set to 'only' the server will only forward queries, if set to 'first' (default) it will send the queries to the forwarder and if not answered will attempt to answer the query. This statement may be used in a zone, view or a global options clause."

If I understand this correctly, BIND should handle a query for host.example.com by first passing it through the configured forwarder, which should succeed (the record exists on the Internet).
However, I believe since this server is also authoritative for this domain (the internal copy), and the record is not in this "view" of the zone file, I receive an NXDOMAIN.

I've spent hours researching a way to accomplish this without any luck. Is there any way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

Thanks,

Tal Ben-Eliezer