Help with DKIM record

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Tue Apr 15 13:23:34 UTC 2014

On 4/14/2014 2:58 PM, Steven Carr wrote:
> On 14 April 2014 18:53, Felix Rubio Dalmau <felixrubiodalmau at gmail.com> wrote:
>>          it is not actually a pure caching server (at least I didn't wanted it to be :S). I have server at home, and the DNS is properly configured at the internet. The problem is that my router is not capable to redirect my requests to my server when they come from the LAN. So, I have had to configure a dhcp+dns server to give the IPs to the machines in the LAN, and to use the dns server to resolve the local server using db.server.local and db.192 files.
> db.server.local wasn't in your config and your query is for
> www.server.org, myserver.org was listed in your config file.
>
>>          I understand that "forward only;" will not hurt but, right? After setting it, I do the dig and I get:
> Setting it to forward only means that anything that the server is not
> authoritative for it will forward to the specified servers.
Actually -- small correction -- it's the "forwarders" statement that
triggers _that_ behavior. Forward only/forward first is just a
refinement of what happens if the forwarders are unresponsive (as
implied in the remainder of your paragraph).

Some additional semantic nitpicking...

> If you do
> not have that set then there are occasions where your DNS server will
> go to the Internet root and start to search for the requested record
> recursively,
I think you mean "iteratively" here.
> if you're fine with that then is there a reason why you
> are forwarding requests to other DNS servers?
I think you mean "iterating" rather than "forwarding" here.

End semantic nitpicking :-)
> why not just allow your
> local DNS server to handle the whole resolution process?

Totally agreed. Forwarding should not be added to a named.conf unless it
is well considered and justified. "Will not hurt"? It very well *might*
hurt. It often *does* hurt.