Enterprise IPAM/DNS Solutions

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Mon Apr 28 16:35:29 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 04:31:28PM +0000, Baird, Josh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We currently use the Men & Mice DNS/IPAM/DHCP suite which is
> essentially a front-end "wrapper" for BIND.  We deploy our own BIND
> boxes and simply install the Men & Mice agent on them which allows us
> to centrally manage the zones from a GUI (or CLI) based interface.
>
> I'm curious about the other "enterprise" solutions that are on the
> market.  Bluecat is the first one that comes to mind, but I'm
> completely unfamiliar with their product.  Does their product run
> alongside native BIND (like M&M) or do I need to purchase their own
> appliances and place them all over my network?
>
> Are there any other suggestions for products similar to Men & Mice
> and Bluecat that I should be looking at?  I'm looking for DNS and
> IPAM and central management.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Josh

Josh, I'm curious what shortcomings you're finding with the M&M suite?

We've looked at BlueCat recently and my recollection is that it
required their DNS appliances.  Quite costly and in our case, overkill.

M&M has worked pretty well for us, but we're a corporate type use case,
not a provider or ISP.

Ray