Forwarding request to another DNS server but the same domain

John Miller johnmill at brandeis.edu
Wed Apr 30 20:21:40 UTC 2014

Hi Jeronimo,

First of all, please just tell us the real domain.  Yes, we could try and
talk about a fictitious "example.com" or "company.com," but having the real
domain name lets us actually query your nameservers.

Let me be sure I understand: you have two DNS servers.  Each of them is
authoritative for the same domain.  Are both set as master?

The two servers have different copies of the zone--what's your reason for
that?

If both servers think they are authoritative for a zone, then they will
answer recursive queries for those zones themselves.  From the manual:

"Forwarding occurs only on those queries for which the server is not
authoritative and does not have the answer in its cache."

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

John

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 3:55 PM, Jeronimo L. Cabral <jelocabral at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear, I would like to ask for solution related with DNS (bind)
> configuration to allow forward requests to another DNS but related with
> the same domain.
>
> I'm asking about two authoritative name servers serving the same domain
> but with different zone file info on each and have one of them forward
> recursive queries to another one if first one cannot find some particular
> subdomain record that is missing in his version of zone file.
>
> My named.conf.local is as follow, but it doesn't work:
>
> zone "company.com" {
>     type master;
>     file "/etc/bind/zones/company.com.db";
>     allow-transfer { key "company"; };