rndc (and now nsupdate too)

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Aug 1 16:09:30 UTC 2014

Mike Hoskins (michoski) <michoski at cisco.com> wrote:
> Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at> wrote:
> >
> >In our setup, changes made in the database are turned into an nsupdate
> >script, so we don't need to bounce the name server and we can use
> >BIND's automatic signing.
>
> no argument on nsupdate, but even if you copy files around...you don't
> need to bounce the nameserver, unless rndc reload is what you mean (when i
> hear bounce i think stop/start).

Sorry, I was being imprecise. When I said "bounce" I meant any kind of
config change action that makes named do more work than is necessary to
change the contents of the zone.

Tony.
FitzRoy: Westerly or southwesterly veering northwesterly, 4 or 5, increasing 6
or 7 for a time in east. Slight or moderate, becoming moderate or rough in
east. Rain or thundery showers. Good, occasionally poor.