Enabing RRL in bind

Gaurav Kansal gaurav.kansal at nic.in
Wed Jan 1 12:08:37 UTC 2014

Thanks Evan. J

-----Original Message-----
From: Evan Hunt [mailto:each at isc.org]
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:27 AM
To: Gaurav Kansal
Cc: bind-users at lists.isc.org
Subject: Re: Enabing RRL in bind

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 05:47:13PM +0530, Gaurav Kansal wrote:

> In bind 9.9.4, Reponse-Rate Limit doesn't work until you configure

> bind with "-enable-rrl" option.

> I was wondering why is it so ?

> Why not this feature is enabled by default in bind.

RRL was added to the BIND 9.9 branch late, in release 9.9.3.

Ordinarily, it's our policy only to add new features in 9.x.0 releases.

We felt that this feature was important enough to make an exception to our
usual rule, but since code changes of that size always introduce a risk of
destabilization, we decided to make it a compile-time option: those who want
RRL can get it; those who don't can skip it.

RRL will be enabled by default in 9.10.0.

Evan Hunt --  <mailto:each at isc.org> each at isc.org

Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.