dumping master file: tmp-xxx: open: permission denied

LuKreme kremels at kreme.com
Tue Jan 14 15:32:17 UTC 2014

On 13 Jan 2014, at 20:36 , Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

> In message <8919443E-8F62-48CD-8DA4-9C9632FC5D69 at kreme.com>, LuKreme writes:
>> OK, I am getting this error "dumping master file: tmp-xxx: open:
>> permission denied", occasionally, on both my slave DNS servers and I
>> can't seem to fix it.
>>
>> The dns slave files are being written into /var/named/etc/namedb/slave
>> which is owned by bind
>>
>> 8 drwxr-xr-x  2 bind  wheel  1024 Jan 13 19:46 /var/named/etc/namedb/slave
>>
>> DNS changes are getting propagated to both servers from the master, so I
>> don't know where the permission denied is coming from. Where is this
>> tmp file being (attempted to be) written?
>
> It's trying to write the the working directory which I doubt is
> /var/named/etc/namedb/slave.  I suspect you have a bad "file"
> directive.

Hmm. OK, there is a /var/named/etc/namedb/working/ which is also owned by bind.

Where might this bad file directive be? The only ‘file’ in named.conf are in the form “slave/example.com” and the pid-file setting.

>> And why are the slave servers "dumping master file" in the first place?
>
> So the slave can start up and serve the zone content when the master
> server is down.

Oh? Coolness :)

--
I WILL STOP TALKING ABOUT THE TWELVE INCH PIANIST Bart chalkboard Ep.
3F07