Can we do a sub-domain delegation with godaddy?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at tux.org
Wed Jan 15 05:47:02 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-14 12:39, Blason R wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I am not sure if this is an appropriate forum to answer since more or
> less it is pertaining to Go Daddy support but since its a huge
> community our there and I am sure many of them are already using Go
> Daddy wondering if su-domain delegation is possible in Go Daddy?
>
> I mean I have example.com [1] hosted with Go Daddy while I need
> sub-domain ftp.example.com [2] to be delegated to my internal BIND
> server.
>
> Does any one know how do I do it in Go Daddy?

(1) the same way you do it with any other delegation using any other
name server.  You put the same list of name servers that are in your
zone, in the parent zone, together with any needed "glue" records.
"Glue" records are A records for any name servers that are in the
delegated domain or any domain under the delegated domain.

(2) However, if you are delegating to an INTERNAL-only name server then
you should not be delegating.  Delegation is for information that you
want to share with everyone seeing the delegation.

(3) Your choice of names is interesting.  Usually ftp.example.com would
be a single server with a single A record.  But if you want it to have
its own separate zone file on a separate server, with an SOA record and
a list of NS records, that is certainly allowable in DNS.  Maybe you
will then declare chi.ftp.example.com and nyc.ftp.example.com and
dca.ftp.example.com and ...

EXAMPLE:

zone.ftp.example.com:

$TTL    1h
@       SOA ...
         NS      ns1.ftp.example.com.
         NS      ns1.chi.ftp.example.com.
         NS      ns3.isc.org.
ns1     A       6.7.8.9
ns1.chi A       6.9.8.7

You ask GoDaddy to add the following to the "example.com" zone file:

         NS      ns1.ftp.example.com.
         NS      ns1.chi.ftp.example.com.
         NS      ns3.isc.org.
; Glue record