Non-responsive name servers when started during boot on OS X Mavericks 10.9

Eduardo Bonsi beartcom at pacbell.net
Sat Jan 18 05:10:11 UTC 2014

Hello Larry,

I had the same "head-ache" when I upgraded to 10.9. It seems that instead going forward we all took a step behind. I guess this type of free stuff does come with something attached to it. Anyways, when you upgraded to 10.9 the boot files were wipe clean from the /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/

Open the terminal and restore it by entering the comand!

launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.isc.named.plist
 echo "launchctl start org.isc.named" >> /etc/launchd.conf

Then re-start BIND

launchctl start org.isc.named

There are several places talking about this stuff but you can verify here:
Configure BIND to Launch at Startup
http://www.macshadows.com/kb/index.php?title=How_To:_Enable_BIND_-_Mac_OS_X's_Built-in_DNS_Server

I hope that helps!

--