Non-responsive name servers when started during boot on OS X Mavericks 10.9

Larry Stone lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
Sun Jan 19 00:15:14 UTC 2014

Eduardo -

You’re not really reading what the problem is. When named is started as part of system boot, it is running but non-responsive. When started any time later, it works fine.

BIND version is latest and greatest 9.8.6 download from ISC just a few days ago - BIND 9.8.6-P2 (have not looked at 9.9 yet). It is not outdated. Secondary was updated to 9.8.6-P2 tray as part of testing.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you’re just throwing out how-to’s from various sources without any real understanding of what the problem is.

Update: Further testing shows that when first launched, named is listening on 127.0.0.1 but not the external address. Restarting it lets it listen on both. My guess is that launchd is starting it before the external TCP/IP address is set up. Unfortunately, launchd, as far as I know, does not let you establish dependencies. Interim solution is to have the launchd plist run a script that does a sleep 30 before starting named (15 seconds was too short). There might be a way to use a Listeners clause in the launchd list but that syntax is currently beyond me. I will search in Mac OS X forums for that.

--
Larry Stone
lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
http://www.stonejongleux.com/